Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Little Documentation

It's been an eventful couple of days. This time I figured I'd use some pictures to help illustrate my story.

Here I am at the village pub, enjoying a nice green St. Patrick's Day beer. Someone snagged some green food coloring from the science classroom so that we could enjoy this time-honored tradition.


This is the AMAZING shabu shabu that I ate with a bunch of fellow edutainers before heading to the pub. There is tomatoey broth in the pot that has green herbs and mushrooms and potatoes and such in it. First, people dunk in pieces of pork (I clearly sat that part out), which cook instantly and can be dipped in soy sauce with wasabi. Next, the server brings noodles and puts them into the broth to cook. This results in delicious noodle soup. Finally, they bring a mixture of rice and finely-diced vegetables and egg and scorch it in the pot. A very tasty Japanese tradition, and the restaurant near the village is GREAT. The owner's son (who was also our server) even drove us home in shifts after our dinner!


Here I am singing some norebang (karaoke) with a co-worker. The place we went to in Ilsan was really cool...


It featured a great view of the street and buildings all lit up for the night, AND we got free ice cream afterwards!


These are the remnants of the MOUNTAINS of yummy vegetarian food that we ate before norebang. Bi bim bap and about a zillion side dishes for about $5.oo!


This is Ilsan at night. Lovely, no?


Here's a shot of the view from our norebang room.



This is Nam Dae Mun Market in Seoul. Bustle, bustle.



This is the Korean Mexican food that I ate. Oh, burrito!



Here is Nam Dae Mun, the oldest city gate in Korea, right smack in the middle of Seoul.



These appear to be some sleeves for sale. Right.



This is the lovely view from my apartment window. The large domed building is the Concert Hall, where our main stage shows are performed. The show that I am writing (not the one about the scientist that I was originally assigned, but one about a talent show instead) is almost finished, and it will open there in May. We had a read-through of it this morning, which was lots of fun. It's great hearing one's work come to life.

This morning one of my fellow Edutainers, who is a very talented dancer from Canada, had a pancake breakfast for everyone in our department. He's a very gracious host and a very good cook. It was really early (between 7:00 am and 8:30 am, since we all start work at 9:00 am), but such a nice way to start a day, and truly delicious. These are my kind of people.

This week I start rehearsals for another street show, in which I play the Fairy Queen, Lucinda, and get to sing some really cute songs. Also, another new Edutainer will be arriving tonight, so I'll no longer be the newest kid in town.

Many thanks to the people who've been posting comments. I'm glad you're enjoying this, and I hope you're all well.

1 comment:

*M* said...

I just have to say that the place where you went for karaoke looks like the place Bill Murry and Scarlet Johanson went to in "Lost in Translation".