Monday, May 12, 2008

Oy Veh, Children's Day

Do I get groan points for my title? One week ago today was my second big Children's Day celebration at English Village, yet another event which had me wondering how on earth it had been a whole year since the last one. It was a day full of line-dancing (at least for me) performing, and smiling kids.


Here are a couple of my edutainer buddies hanging out before the big show that we did.


And here's a nice photo (most of these are courtesy of my friend Emma) from our performance of Love Shack (with the lyrics rewritten to be about English Village). The show was essentially the same as last year but with a few small changes (and of course many of the performers were different).


This is me singing our Children's Day version of Mama Mia with Eva and Rachel. Do you like my pink wig?


And this is the whole group doing Shout, with Eva and me (did you see that people? Me, not I. That, my friends, is correct grammar.) on backup vocals.


And here's a lovely post-show pic of Rachel and me.


Children's Day happened to fall on my friend and co-worker Robyn's birthday, so afterwards we all went out to celebrate with her. As you can see, I gave the festivities the thumbs-up.

Because this year Children's Day fell on a Monday, a day when the park is usually closed, I had to work a six-day week, with only one day off. I will get an extra day off in July to make up for it, which will give me a three-day weekend and be awesome. However, I felt as though I needed to make the most of my one day off,


So I went with Robyn and another lovely edutainer, Kelly, to the beach. It was not the nicest beach ever but we had a good time. Unfortunately, it was too windy for us to be able to lie out on the sand comfortably for very long. We had a nice meal and then decided to explore a cement walkway that went out among the rocks.


Part of the walkway was broken and we had to walk over this instead. It was scary.


Here is Kelly, who conquered a rock,


And here I am among the rocks, wearing the ugliest sunglasses EVER (I love them in all their ridiculous glory).

We had a lot nice beach hiking and then gorged ourselves on delicious ice cream before heading home.

This week was also pretty crazy. On top of my usual schedule of game shows and line dancing, I had rehearsals for George Saves Storyland. In addition to that, our whole department had to learn a song and dance number for the show and film it, all in about two days! It was a good exercise in learning choreography quickly and really being on the ball. It was also fun, but tiring. As if I weren't busy enough, I had to go in as an understudy in School Days for the first time yesterday. Things went well, considering that I had had three rehearsals total for the role. I did three shows and was finally able to start feeling comfortable during the last show. I will be back at it on Wednesday and Thursday of this week and I'm sure it will be fun. It's definitely a nice break from the game shows and activities.

And that, folks, is all for now.

No comments: