Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Updatesville

So, life continues to be dynamic and pretty fun.

Last week, there were a group of college-aged debaters here for some sort of big deal pan-Asian debate. They sort of took over the village (to the chagrin of some). On Sunday night they had their closing ceremonies and a big party, and some of us village residents were lucky enough to share their liquor, on what was a lovely spring night. I met a kid from Singapore, who insisted that I visit Mumbai, because he said it was exactly the same as New York City. I met some really nice ladies from Japan. Also, I got plastered.

Also last week, there was a week-long law program happening at EV. A bunch of Korean Judges from all over the country came to practice English and learn about U.S. law. The program teachers needed a couple of actors for some courtroom-style improv and I was recommended. I got to play a defense attorney in an accident suit for the the "objections workshop," and then got to plead with the jury for my client's life in the "sentencing workshop." It was a little nerve-wracking (I've never been too into courtroom dramas, so improvising with legal jargon was a bit intimidating), but lots of fun, and everyone was happy with our work.

Yesterday, which was a day off, I went on a little walk/hike up the hill across from the village. It was much shorter than I had expected and was kind of anti-climatic. I did find a broken TV on my way. I think I may have found some toxic waste as well. Well... probably not, but there was a rusty metal container with greenish stuff oozing out of it that had a skull and crossbones on it, as well as warning symbols for just about everything including "flammable." Who knows...

Today was my debut in the role of Jesse in our cute little main stage show (for which I am an understudy), You're a Star. We did two shows and I had a really great time. It feels weird to try to mostly copy someone else's performance and to play a character without having worked on it as much as one normally would, were they actually cast in the role, but I feel like I'm getting the rhythm of it. I'm definitely looking forward to doing this for the rest of the week.

No comments: