Monday, April 9, 2007

Good Times, Great Oldies

Squiggly lights bring out my ferocity.

Let it be known to all that I just returned from a Birthday Party that involved the use of sparklers. It sort of made me wish I could play with sparklers every day, but then it wouldn't be special at all, and that would be, in a word, tragic.

I've been having some good, old-fashioned fun these days. Workwise, I just finished writing a small show for May and June with one of the new ladies (she got here about a week ago). It's a nursery rhyme sing-a-long, and we've found a cute way to tie all of the nursery rhymes into a narrative that fits in with the May-June theme. I feel good about the work we've done and have especially enjoyed this particular collaboration.

Last night I went with Mel, one of the EV teachers, to see Dieselboy spin at a club called Cargo in Seoul. This was my first time really going out properly in Korea, and my first time in Hondae, the club district.

It's a hopping area which is pretty difficult to navigate for a first-timer. I finally felt like I was seeing the throngs with which I had imagined Seoul would teem.

The party was great. The music was very good, the atmosphere was great and the token Seoul Drum n' Bass scenesters were very friendly and welcoming.

It was actually looking like Dieselboy was not going to show, but he eventually did and I danced my face off. I seriously cannot remember the last time I danced that much.

We rode the train back smelling like the dregs of party.

Thursday and Friday were my days off last week (and should continue to be for the rest of April). I met with Hee Young Thursday. She tried to help me figure out some cell phone stuff, which was helpful (but non-conclusive since I didn't have ID with me --long story) and we had lunch together is the most random little market restaurant I've ever visited. I wish I could have taken a picture, because it sort of defies description. Imagine your mom's kitchen in the middle of a clothing store and dry-goods store, but they all sort of share space. The Bi Bim Bop was excellent.

I had a bit of a frustrating Korean lesson (there is still sooooooooo much I don't know and remembering words that sound like nothing that has ever previously come out of my mouth is hard), but afterwards I decided to check out the Yongsan electronics market. It is a really cool, overwhelming place. Rows and rows of counters where you can buy everything from flat irons to pianos, and there are maybe 6 or 7 floors. I succeeded in getting some decent speakers for a very low price, and enjoyed just looking around. After that, I went back to Nam Dae Mun Market to get a backpack and work on my haggling (which still didn't really improve, since the gent accepted my first offer this time).

Friday I slept in and did some cleaning and whatnot and then headed to a performance of a show called Picnic, which will be premiering and Seoul and London's West End at some point in the future. This was a preview performance of sorts, and I was lucky enough to see it for free, since they were giving away tickets to English Teachers and looking for our feedback. The show basically concerns itself with a bunch of prisoners who break out and break dance. While several aspects of it left something to be desired in my book, the dancing was great, and it was nice to simply get to go to the theatre. Thereafter, I grabbed some tasty sushi with some fellow villagers in Ilsan and then headed home.

Well, I think that that pretty much brings us up to date as far as relevant developments go. Take care all. 10-4

No comments: